Does CBD Help Acne-Prone Skin?
We often think of acne as a skin concern affecting teens. While this can be the case, for many people, acne doesn’t stop at puberty. In fact, acne affects almost 10% of the global population, making it the eighth most prevalent condition worldwide, impacting people of all ages.
Here, we look at the causes of acne and investigate whether CBD can help control breakouts.
What causes acne?
Acne is caused by inflammation. When oil, dirt, and dead skin cells on the surface of your skin plug up your pores and hair follicles, spots and pimples begin to appear. In some cases, blocked pores can also cause localised skin infections.
While breakouts can occur anywhere on the skin, acne most commonly appears on the face, neck, chest, shoulders, back, and upper arms.
Are there different types of acne?
Yes, acne can take several forms – from mild acne (which tends to involve the sporadic appearance of whiteheads and blackheads) to cystic acne (which is associated with large, painful cysts under the skin’s surface).
The most common types of acne include:
- Blackheads: Open black or yellow bumps on the skin filled with excess oil and dead skin. They appear to contain dirt, but their colour is produced by the inner lining of the hair follicle.
- Whiteheads: White or yellow-coloured bumps on the skin that are closed by oil and dead skin.
- Papules: Small red or pink bumps that can feel tender to the touch.
- Pustules: Similar to papules, but with a white tip in the centre, caused by a build-up of pus.
- Nodules: Large, hard lumps that form beneath the skin’s surface and can feel painful and bruised.
- Cysts: Pus-filled lumps that look like boils and can lead to significant scarring if picked or scratched. Cystic acne (also known as inflammatory acne) occurs when bacteria get closed into pores, prompting the immune system to fight the germs in the infected area.
Does acne affect many people?
If you’re struggling with painful acne or feeling self-conscious about its affects, it may reassure you to know that you are far from alone. According to the Journal of American Academy of Dermatology, 54% women and 40% of men over the age of 25 experience facial acne.
There are millions of people who can relate to the discomfort of having acne. Several celebrities have spoken openly about their own experience with it, too, including Kendall Jenner, Rihanna, Selena Gomez, and Dua Lipa, to name just a few.
Actress and singer Zendaya, who experiences acne herself, shared with W Magazine that “just ‘drinking more water’ does not replace a skincare routine.” The star stressed the importance of a holistic approach, “especially for those with problem skin.”
Acne and life in the UAE
While acne is a global skin concern, it’s particularly prevalent in the UAE. According to Arabian Business, acne is among the top 5 most common skincare problems in the UAE, with 41% of women experiencing breakouts caused by inflammation.
But why is acne so common here? There are several factors at play, including:
- Stress: The UAE is one of the globe’s major business centres, which puts a lot of pressure on our workforce. According to a survey, UAE employees are among the most stressed in the world.
- Weather: Our extreme weather conditions play a big role in our skin health. With temperatures reaching highs of 55 degrees Celsius, our skin’s natural balance is disturbed, leading to increased oil production. Let’s not forget all the sun protection cream and air conditioning our skin is subjected to, as well.
- Pollution: According to IQAir, Dubai’s pollution levels place it in the ‘unhealthy for sensitive groups’ bracket. Poor air quality can clog our pores, leading to breakouts.
Can CBD help my acne?
Breakouts are our body’s way of communicating with us. While it’s common (and totally understandable!) for people with acne to worry about their appearance, these spots are signalling something is out of balance. The health of your skin has been compromised, and it needs to be treated.
Some people use antibiotics to treat their acne, but there are also effective, natural alternatives to support your skin’s health. At Juana Skin, we recommend you use a clean, natural, and sustainable skincare product that works in harmony with your body.
Remember when we said that inflammation is the root cause of all types of acne? Enter CBD. This all-natural ingredient comes from the hemp plant, which has been recognised for its antibacterial and antifungal properties.
Among the many benefits of CBD, it reduces inflammation and regulates your skin’s oil glands – two of the major contributors to acne. In fact, a 2014 study found that CBD not only hindered oil production; it also had anti-inflammatory effects on the oil-producing glands themselves.
A study conducted by the Journal of Dermatological Science also discovered that CBD oil can inhibit the overproduction of skin cells, eliminating another acne-causing culprit.
At Juana Skin, we believe that the best approach is a holistic one. Our products not only de-stress the skin, they’ve also been clinically proven to help reduce the effects of acne, with 70% of our customers agreeing that their skin looks clear and free from blemishes and imperfections.
Treat your acne, and its longer-term effects, with Juana Skin’s pure and potent farm-fresh CBD products.